Friday, March 1, 2024

The Move - Chapter 4

It is less than a week now to our move, and things are getting pretty frantic.  We are both feeling some stress, but I think we are handling it well.  Lots of talking and discussing plans that seem to change around a lot.

We've been packing... and packing... and packing.  It is a wonder that we have so much stuff around.  We have been trolling the area looking for boxes and using NextDoor.  We've bought a few, but mostly have been using recycled boxes.  The big negative on the recycled boxes is that they don't hold weight very well.  This may represent a problem loading the truck.

The other day, I was driving through a neighborhood nearby and found a trailer from a you pack it company.  The guy was outside and I asked about boxes.  He gave me a truck-full including 5 very clean wardrobe boxes.  Most of the boxes look like they got some water or just smushed, but the wardrobes are mint.

On the truck... I just did the easiest check-in ever for a vehicle.  U-Haul had a message on the website in my record that I needed to do the checking process.  It was really easy.  I took photos of the front and back of my driver's license and added an emergency contact.  Really, no sweat.

We are kind of running out of room to put stuff in our house.  My office, the room I photographed in the previous post, and the living room are filling up.  The garage had to be cleared out so I could have room to work.  All of that is now in the living room.  Tammy is going through old tubs and we are ditching a lot of stuff.

Also, since I have written, we used U-Haul's "Moving Labor" option and found a couple of people to help us load on March 8th here in Tomball and another group to help us unload in Summerville on March 11th.  It was super easy.  Both groups reached out to me and arranged arrival times within a day.  Both seemed very knowledgeable and helpful.

In Summerville, there's an Extra Storage within a couple of miles of where our home will be.  I rented a 10 x 25 storage in an enclosed temp-controlled zone.  It turns out that Extra Storage just built this facility in the last few years.  It wasn't shown on Google Maps, but the map of the complex has it.  We are not far from a door, so the unloading should go well.  There wasn't a U-Haul storage close to us.

Our plan now is to load and hit the road immediately afterward.  We are hoping to get to Summerville on Saturday sometime, but okay with having to spend an extra night in a hotel.  Neither of us knows how much of a handful the truck might be on that long of a trip.  The reviews for the trucks are all pretty good.

That's it for now.  Lots of additional packing this weekend and disassembly of some beds and stuff.  We are going to do our best to pack this truck nose to tail.  More later on!

No comments:

Post a Comment